Thursday, July 12, 2007

Week 7 Activity #16

Finding out the meaning of the word Wiki, (something fast), was a great beginning. I didn't know that you could update, edit or change the information on Wiki's. Now I understand why this advantage of fast updating can also be its disadvantage. With editing made so easy, how do trust the source?

Discovery Resources has great articles that explain the world of Wiki's. I checked out the Wiki for the CSLA 2007 conference and I didn't understand it. Then I read the resource, Using Wiki's to Create Online Communities and it was much clearer. It would be nice to know good places to eat or visit where the conference is taking place and people who know the area can post to that Wiki.

So you want to build a wiki? gives a list of points to consider when starting up a Wiki. I have mixed feelings about these Wiki's. On one hand I think it is cool that you can update and edit, but on the other hand it seems like there is not enough control. The jury is still out on this one. I am going to check out some blogs to see what others have to say.

1 comment:

Joan Tracy said...

We have same initials! I love wikis for classroom projects. They have generated excitement, and really allow all the students to see each others work, which I think is important. Control of editing is offered by requiring a password.